What is percussion therapy?
It uses a massage gun, such as a Theragun, to apply high-speed percussion, jolts of pressure directly to soft tissue. Massage therapists often use percussion through hacking methods, which is demonstrated here at https://www.physio.co.uk/treatments/massage/our-massage-techniques/hacking.php Manual percussion such as hacking is used to stimulate the muscle and is often used in sports massage as part of a pre-workout massage to warm up and awaken the muscle tissues before an event. The high-speed percussion provided by a massage gun includes additional benefits.
Benefits of Percussion Therapy
According to Performancerehab.com, the benefits include:
- Relaxes thickened connective tissue
- It helps to break down adhesions and internal scar tissue
- Improves circulation in the veins and lymphatic system
- Enhances flexibility through gentle stretching
- Increases range of movement
- Accelerates and enhances the repair of muscle fiber
- Pain relief
- Improved function
- Enhances performance and physical response
Who should not use Percussion Therapy?
- Those with pacemakers or defibrillators.
- Over any area of the body with implants such as plates or screws.
- Do not use if you have open wounds, bruises, incisions, tumors, or cancer.
- Do not use if you have Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) blood clots.
- If there is swelling, inflammation or skin eruptions, or unexplained pain present
If you’re interested in trying percussion with your next massage with Zen Is In The Name, text 480-359-7452.